Attending next month’s ArchitectureBoston Expo (ABX)? Mark your calendar for Going Global: Culture Shock, moderated by Payette’s Mark Careaga, Associate Principal.
It’s not just professional practice that holds surprises for those working abroad, but project delivery, business customs, and the routines of daily life. Our panelists share stories from the field – the good, the bad, and the baffling – and highlight the perils and attractions of working outside your cultural comfort zone.
Mark is no stranger to international practice, having spent much of the past 15 years working on projects in Pakistan and East Africa. He will be joined by five seasoned, well-traveled professionals:
- Deborah Bentley, architect
- Bob Daylor PE, civil engineer, professional land surveyor, and Senior VP at Tetratech
- Gerard Georges, project manager at Shepley Bullfinch
- Christian Lemon, landscape architect and Principal of Lemon | Brooke
- Alan Mountjoy AIA, architect, urban designer, and Principal at NBBJ
Discussion will be wide-ranging, covering topics such as:
- “Lost in translation” … cross-office and cross-cultural comparisons and conflicts … and juggling time zones
- “Shiny new objects” … how conflicting, and often inverted, value systems impact the design process
- “Do you VoIP?” … new technology and how it impacts an international practice
- “Only connect” … the importance of understanding cultural context and what makes your clients and local partners tick
This session is sponsored by ArchitectureBoston, with support from the BSA Global Practice Network (@BSAglobal). We look forward to seeing you at Going Global: Culture Shock!
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
10:00 AM — 11:30 AM